Sunday, November 8, 2015

Channeling My Inner Child!

As you all know I write for the Christian children's genre as well as romance novels. Yesterday I had a chance to channel my inner child at my oldest granddaughter's birthday party.

What excellent 'market' research. Experiencing and observing what the age group I write for enjoys. Inflatables!

Here is what I learned playing as a child:

Inflatables are fun. FUN!

Children like to race through the obstacle course. Not just my granddaughters, their friends and my son.

Children are inclusive. They don't care how old you are, they want you to play along with them.

Children are open to new ideas like making a train going down the inflatable slide.

Children are impatient. They can't wait for old ladies to climb up the slide stairs to race down with them. They have to slide down as soon as they reach the top!

Are you writing for a certain age child and are suddenly stuck? Go do what they do!

 Shop in the mall if you are writing for teens or preteens and watch their actions, their clothes choices or the stores they shop in.

For younger children, go to a park and play. Feel the wind in your face as you swing, the exhilaration as you slide down a twisting slide or the satisfaction of completing an obstacle course. If you're not up for outside, attend a children's movie or play. Sit in the back and observe. What punch lines tickle their fancy? Which character do they cheer for?

Put yourself in their world to add accuracy to your stories. Do you have any other ideas to reach your inner child?

No comments:

Post a Comment