Saturday, October 18, 2014

NaNoWriMo

For those of you who don't know what my blog title stands for it's National Novel Writing Month and it takes place in November. The idea is to write 50,000 words on your novel. Although I've never officially registered for NaNoWriMo, I have unofficially participated and finished at least three rough drafts of novels this way and I plan to again this year!

Over the years I've found two things that are the key to success during the frantic month of getting words on the page, time management and prep work.

Time management doesn't always mean writing during every free minute you can find. It does mean 'freeing up' your minutes. Once I decide to participate, I stop adding any social engagements to my calendar. November is a busy enough time for me with two birthdays and Thanksgiving. Those are the only things on my social calendar for November. I can't add word count to my manuscript Black Friday shopping or standing in line to get ticket to the new holiday movie. Don't hesitate to say 'no' during this month so you can focus on your manuscript.

Prep work is key to meeting your word count goal. I know seat of the pants writers are cringing at this, but if you outline your story-even loosely-you don't waste valuable writing time staring at a blank screen wondering what should happen next. An outline gives you a direction to go even if it's one or two sentences describing the action or the emotion of the scene.

Good luck to any writer's who are participating this year!

4 comments:

  1. Best wishes, Rose! I bet you'll finish in good fashion with something almost ready to go to an editor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your boost of confidence!

      Delete
  2. I wish I could. But my characters keep changing their minds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story always gets better when the characters have a mind of their own!

      Delete