Saturday, June 21, 2014

Conference and Research

Here I am as a pioneer driving my team of ox across the South Dakota prairie! It's hard work, but a writer gotta do what a writer's gotta do for research! HA!

All joking aside. Yesterday I attended a business conference for my day job about managing multiple projects with deadlines. Do you know what I discovered? All the tips and techniques the teacher presented for how to get reports finished on time, work for a writer juggling multiple book contracts and deadlines.

So if you're a struggling writer who can't afford to attend a large writer's conference, don't disregard smaller 'business' seminar's in your area. I realize you won't be able to network with writers and editors, but you will be able to improve your craft or processes your work will benefit from it. The seminar I attended was a Fred Pryor seminar and was very inexpensive.

You may be surprised about networking too. I met a fledging novelist who was also attended the seminar for work and when the instructor discovered I was a published author, she pulled up my author page on Amazon for all of the class to see. Will it result in a sale? Who knows?

Now to the research part. I talk a lot about discovering 'gems' in your surrounding area. I had a chance to spend some time in the Old Court House Museum in Sioux Falls. That is where top picture was taken. This is a free museum and has a wonderful chair collection. Yes, you read that correctly, they have a display of chairs. It is really neat! They also have a small collection of dolls, something you don't always see at a museum.

On this particular excursion, I found a quote from a convict facing death in the electric chair that I can rework in an historical, an actual historical event where an innocent man was hanged for murdering his wife, and information on architecture in our area. All items that can be the basis for or bring a historical story to life.

1 comment:

  1. Fun photo, Rose! Yes, trips to museums always spark story ideas or give me tidbits to squirrel away for some story down the road. Happy trails!

    ReplyDelete