Saturday, July 20, 2013

Contemporary vs Historical

Since I hit the send button in June, submitting my very first historical manuscript to an editor, I been holding my writer's breath. Did I have what it takes to write a historical novel? After all, I'm the gal who constantly says: God placed me in the right era with air conditioning, running water, sewer systems. You get the idea.
I hadn't subconsciously placed contemporary elements in the story, had I?

Thursday, I found out. Two...I had two areas that might not have been appropriate in historical context. One was easily fixed with one sentence, which helps the reader see the hero is falling in love with the heroine. The other took several lines of text to turn the scene around to a match making event. It was a scene that I was trying to develope intimacy without using a kiss or hug and I think I still pulled it off. Will my editor go for it? I'll know on Monday.

Overall, I had less editing comments to address in the historical than any of my contempory novels. This makes me more confident in preparing the prosposal for the my second historical due in December.

As a reader I tend to read contempories but am always pleasantly surprised when I do read a historical.
Which do your prefer? Contemporary or Historical?


1 comment:

  1. Kudos to you for writing out of your comfort zone, and it sounds like you've done it well!

    I prefer contemporary, but will read most anything if it's written well.

    ReplyDelete