Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Contests

After much consideration, I took a deep breath on Sunday and entered my books, Job's Tears and Rose of Sharon in two contests, The Carol Awards through ACFW and the Holt Medilian through the Virginia RWA chapter.

Why so much consideration? The price of these contests are a little pricey. What changed my mind? If I'd win, place or show, that is a prestigious accolade to add to my resume. Plus I've received really good reader feedback on Job's Tears, even from my writing peers.

So, today at lunch, I'll be making a trip to the Post Office to mail my books for judging. I'll keep you posted on the outcome!

Readers, do you buy books based on the awards they've won?

Writers, how much consideration do you do before entering a contest?

4 comments:

  1. Oh Rose..the best of luck! I, as a reader feel they are prize worthy! And yes, some I read due to their awards!

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes as your books go out to these contests, Rose! I agree with your rationale in sending them. As for whether I buy award winners? Sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, Rose!

    A contest win won't assure that I purchase a book, but it may get me to pick it up, depending on the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck with the contests, Rose! It takes a lot of courage to put your work in the arena.

    The publicity surrounding contest winners does catch my attention and has moved me to read or purchase, if the plot sounds interesting.


    ReplyDelete