Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2012 Goal Recap

As most of you know, I'm a huge advocate of setting writing career goals. So much so, that I publically share them every year and I follow up by publically sharing if I accomplished those goals or not. Last year in addition to setting writing goals, I set some personal goals for myself too. On both accounts, I accomplished some but not all because I allowed for some flexibility and in both instances had happy surprises!

For my personal goals, I wanted to complete two quilts, visit the Akron Area Museum, the new Sioux City Museum, and The O'Connor House. Well, I completed one quilt. The other, about half finished, I put on hold to make some Christmas gifts. I did visit the Akron Area Museum and the Sioux City Museum twice, along with a tour of the O'Connor House. I love visiting old mansions, and luckily was able to visit a few more this year. The Baker Mansion outside of Akron, Iowa, the Peirce Mansion in Sioux City, Iowa and J. Sterling Morton's Mansion in Nebraska City, NE.

I set six writing goals but only accomplished two and half. I put a proposal together for a book set in Faith, SD. The publisher that I aimed the manuscript for wasn't interested, so I renamed it, Wedding on the Rocks, and it sold to Harlequin's Heartsong Present's line. While waiting for that acceptence, I wrote the first chapter of a historical with a rodeo theme, and I answered manuscript calls and work for hire inquiries. That's the two in a half.

The acceptance caused my flexibility since I had to write the book. In addition, I was asked to audition for a mystery series of books with Guideposts, which I did but wasn't asked to participate in this series. Harlequin Heartsong's Presents line is interested in a synopsis that I submitted but I needed to write sample chapters, which I did and submitted by the end of November.

So although, I didn't complete all six goals, I had a very busy year. Later this week, I'll share my personal and writing goals for 2013!

Feel free to comment and let me know how you did accomplishing your 2012 goals!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats, Rose. I'm impressed with your discipline and flexibility! Here's to a productive 2013 for both of us!

    ReplyDelete