Sunday, October 21, 2012

Carving Out Writing Time in a Busy Schedule

I've been trying a little experience on how to add word count to my current work-in-progress.

I've read articles before about using you lunch hour to write. I have to say, I was always skeptical about using that time for a few reasons.

1. I think it's hard to write while you eat.
2. Work lunchrooms are open to everyone, and it's fun to visit with co-workers.
3. Work lunchrooms are open to everyone, and it's hard to write with other people talking.
4. My lunch hour was only 30 minutes.
5. I'd have to carry all my writing back and forth. UG! I hate carrying stuff.
6. When I had jobs with an hour lunch, I ate the first half and walked-when weather was permitted the second, and read when weather wasn't permitting.

Hmmm...do those sound LIKE excuses to you? They do? That's because they are!

I have an hour lunch at my present day job. I eat my lunch the first thirty minutes, then I've been walking the last half. While I believe daily exercise is extremely important, when our summer days topped out in the triple digits, I didn't walk, instead, I found a quiet place and I wrote.

Do you know what I've found out. I can write approximately 380 words in a half hour, long hand. Writing long hand during lunch means, I only have to carry a pad of paper and a pen. I like that! Now, I do have to transscribe when I get home but that allows me to edit those words, and jump starts my creativity so that I can just keep writing. And if I'm shooting for a 1000 words a day, I'm a third of the way there!

Do you have a few minutes of time in your day? Try using it to add to your word count, you'll be surprised and happy with the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment