Monday, August 6, 2012

Writer's Magazines

Years ago I subscribed to a wonderful writer's magazine, Byline. I looked forward to it receiving it every month, perusing it's pages and monthly contests. So when the publisher offered a lifetime subscribtion price, I jumped at the chance. The publisher, a writer herself, decided to sell the magazine, and a few months later...Byline magazine closed it's doors. Sigh..it was like saying good-bye to an old friend.

But, a few years later through trail and error, I subscribed to a long establised publication, The Writer. I LOVE this magazine. It really has something for everyone and I learn so much from the articles. They have a great mix of literary and genre writing articles, along with a wonderful marketing section that focuses on a submission guidelines for a different type of writing each month.

Last week, through an online writing newsletter, I found out that The Writer, is now in a struggle to survive. The original publishers have sold the magazine, and now the new publisher is looking for a buyer. In the meantime, they have reduced the number of pages, told freelancers they are no longer taking submissions, and reprinting past articles. 

I am bracing for the day I have to say good bye to this fine publication too, and start yet again finding written inspiration to feed my writing career. Anyone have any suggestions?

6 comments:

  1. Yup. That's the news. There's still Writer's Digest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to subscribe to Writer's Digest but I thought they ran too many articles about self publishing...but I guess if that is all that is left....

      Delete
  2. I also liked Byline and loved The Writer. Am hoping someone buys it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose,
    There's a webzine, WOW! Women on Writing, that is interesting. I've found some helpful articles in the archived editions. The website is www.wow-womenonwriting.com.

    ReplyDelete