Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Timed Out

I've been throwing out different time mangement ideas this month trying to help other writers with full time jobs manage their writing schedules so they can see their dreams come true. It also helps me to evaluate my time management schedule to see if there is an area in which I can improve.

But what happens if the day job or life in general throws you a curve ball that eats right into your writing time? Well, you let it. There are just some things you can't control. The night my husband woke me up at 3AM to say, let's go to the emergency room another kidney stone is moving, I knew that even with a day off of work, I was going to get less writing accomplished than if I'd put in a full day at my job. Why? I'm a person that needs eight hours of sleep a night to function. It's hard to write when you or a family member doesn't feel well. And if you can't put all of your focus on your project during your writing time, there is really no point in writing.

The trick is don't use those intenses as an excuse to let that one day or two days or week mandate a new routine of no writing. Just roll with the punches and try to get back as soon as you possibily can into your writing time management groove.

1 comment:

  1. Rose..sorry to hear about hubby's kidney stone..hope he is feeling better as we speak. I agree..you must be able to work or it's just a waste of time and effort if you try when you're not up to it.

    Blessings........
    xoxo Gert

    ReplyDelete