Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Murphy's Law...

"Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong".

Does this apply to time management? Well for me yesterday, it did! Got a call from the hubby mid-day to say: Neither computer will work.... WHAT? I know that sometime this month I will need to address copy edits and give my book one last proof read. Since this publisher handles everything on-line I need a computer to do this.

So,  time I'd planned to use for writing (I'm trying for at least a thousand words per day this month) was eaten into by accessing computer problems. I'm pretty sure the hard drive on the PC is fried. I can't even get it to turn off or on...basically I get nothing, nada.

However, the laptop just needed rebooting. Whew! Sort of...most of my writing files are on the PC, which means sooner or later it will have to be disconnected and taken into a repair shop, at least to retrieve my Word & Excel documents. I'm not sure I want to fix it because it is ten years old...ancient in computer years.

Now, all my current WIP's I email to myself so as long as the laptop worked, I could work. Which I did. Why because how can I blog on time management and not apply it to my own writing. SO I wrote for about an hour. I didn't make the thousand word goal but I did make fifty percent of the goal.

What's the point of this blog post besides whining about my computer problems? Well, time management is a mental perspective because most of the time for most people, Murphy's Law applies-almost daily. I could have thrown up my hands in frustration, called it quits for the day on my writing goals, zoned out in front of the tv because Murphy's Law proved I wasn't going to making my daily word count goal. Instead, after determining there was nothing I could do to fix the PC (BTW I did throw my hands up in frustration), I settled down and used what writing time I had left in the day to add to the word count of my current WIP.

Do unforseen events or scheduling changes rob you of your valuable writing time?

1 comment:

  1. Oh Rose..so sorry to hear this.. Just a thought maybe it would be good to save your work to a flashdrive also. Always nice to have a backup:) But as always you are wise in continuing with your writings!

    Blessings.....
    xoxo Gert

    ReplyDelete